The Canvas ecosystem has many third party education software products that can be integrated to work with Canvas using the Learning Tools Interoperability standard (LTI). Some of these tools allow teachers to assign activities to students within Canvas, score the student work inside the external tool, and then send grades back to Canvas. Because of the large number of plugins available, it is difficult to ensure that each and every plugin will work effectively with the NTN Gradebook. For that reason, the NTN Gradebook plugin cannot guarantee that it will integrate seamlessly with other plugins at this time.
In many cases, the LTI activity will work with the NTN Gradebook. Two processes for creating an LTI activity with the NTN Gradebook are described below. If there is a specific plugin your school site is trying to use in conjunction with the NTN Gradebook plugin, please submit a help ticket to us and include the name of the other plugin with a description of the error you are encountering as it relates to the NTN Gradebook.
Note: Most external tools that allow scoring student work do not support multiple scores per activity. When setting up an activity, teachers must select one category for the scores to be returned to the NTN Gradebook properly.
Adding An LTI Activity
- Open the NTN Gradebook from the left hand course menu. Then click on the assignments tab in the NTN Gradebook to view the list of assignments in Canvas.
- Click the + icon for the assignment group the assignment is being created in to open the Create Assignment modal.
- Change the assignment type to External Tool.
- Input the name of the assignment.
- Select the target scoring category and enter the points possible. Note that similar to quizzes, external tool assignments can only be applied to one category. If you would like to assess additional learning outcomes, create a separate NTN Gradebook assignment to assess the other learning outcomes.
- Configure the assignment due date as desired
- Click Save and Edit to be taken to the Canvas assignment editor.
- Scroll down to the submission type box, click on Find to generate a link to the tool.
- A pop up window will appear. Click on the LTI tool you wish to use. If necessary, complete the set up process as prompted by that tool.
- Once it is set up, there will be a link in the External Tool URL field. Click Save to close the Canvas assignment editor
It's always a good practice to open the assignment after you have created it when using an LTI to ensure the link created is working properly. To do this, navigate to the Canvas assignment page through the native assignment tab.
Students will need to open the Canvas assignment page to access the LTI tool. Students will not be able to access the tool from the link provided in the NTN Gradebook. Instructors can add the created assignment to a module and students will be able to navigate to the correct page from the module.
The NTN Gradebook is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn't match what you are seeing currently, please let us know.