When an assignment is created in the NTN Gradebook, a rubric strand is created for each learning outcome that is being assessed on that assignment. Instructors can now modify the rubric strands created by the NTN Gradebook to provide their students with more detailed feedback through the rubric scores and help them understand how they were assessed in that learning outcome for that particular assignment.
Instructors cannot create their own rubrics or reuse a rubric strand from a previously created NTN Gradebook assignments. All modifications of the criteria or rating descriptors and the rating ranges must be made on the rubric strand created for that specific assignment for the rubric to function with the NTN Gradebook and for the modifications to remain after the overnight sync each night.
As part of the onboarding process for the NTN Gradebook, the Canvas administrator turns off the teacher permissions to add/edit rubrics. If you are wanting to modify rubrics within the NTN Gradebook, please speak with your Canvas administrator to make sure the rubric permissions for teachers are set to "allow" within your instance.
Step 1: Create an assignment through the NTN Gradebook
Follow the steps found in Creating assignments using the NTN Gradebook.
Step 2: Modify the NTN Gradebook rubric strands
- Click on the three dot menu for the assignment that you wish edit the rubric on.
- Select Edit in Canvas from the drop down menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of page and click Save in the lower right corner.
- Click on the edit icon on the rubric to launch the rubric editor
The rubric will now change into edit mode, with many ways to customize the rubric.
The NTN Gradebook will only allow instructors to make the following modifications to the existing rubrics
- add descriptors to the criteria
- add rating ranges within each criteria strand**
- edit the rating range titles and descriptors
Any changes made to the rubric beyond what is listed above (including adding additional criteria/rubric strands) will be corrected by the overnight sync and restored to the original NTN Gradebook rubric the next day.
**The max point total must match in the NTN Gradebook and the assignment rubric in Canvas. If not, the overnight error correction will reset the rubric row points to the values stored in the NTN Gradebook and any custom rating levels (columns) will be removed.
- To edit the criteria descriptor, click the edit icon in the appropriate criteria box.
- To edit an existing rating range and descriptor, click the edit icon in the existing rating boxes.
- To add a rating range between existing rating ranges, click the blue plus icon.
- Click update rubric to save the rubric once all editing is complete.
A modified NTN Gradebook rubric can be used within the speed grader to provide more rich feedback to the students in how they were assessed in each learning outcome.
The NTN Gradebook is constantly being improved based on the feedback from users and we strive to keep our documentation up to date. If this document doesn't match what you are seeing, please let us know.
Please sign in to leave a comment.